Note that my blog has moved to the real apacheLog
-
maybe visit it? ;-)

Friday, March 03, 2006

The Linux Gaming Issue - Bordeaux?




Since various people meant wine 0.9.x (with DirectX support) is a quite useable replacement for Cedega, I took a look at it.
Note: this review is based on a short term observation made within the last 3 days. The games I tried may work with some tricking, though I haven't had enough time to.

It's actually quite nice to see finally some DirectX work done in wine, but by now the stage seems not to be gammaware. I've tried 9 games and only 1 were at least startable
I used wine 0.9.8 (there are no debian packages for 0.9.9 as I'm writing this) so a quite new version. Actually I expected a bit more functionality :| but as the whole DirectX thing is also quite new this might be a fault.

Anyway, here's the list:
Medal of Honor Allied Assault -> installation = yes -> starting = no
Painkiller -> installation = yes -> starting = no
Cossacks -> installation = yes -> starting = no
Airline Tycoon -> installation = yes -> starting = no
Start Trek Armada II -> installation = yes -> starting = no
Half-Life/Counter Strike 1.6 -> installation = yes -> starting = yes -> bug within the menu
Star Wars Knights of the old Republic -> installation = no (I've read that there is some tricking needed, even then is the game not working properly)
Codename: Panzers Phase One -> installation = no

I don't have to say very much about this result, have I? So wine is not yet Bordeaux - a Cedega conqueror :-P (sounds strange?!).
If you know how I can get one of the games to run, please post a comment, and don't forget to tell your opinion about how to get Linux Gaming improve ;-)

Tomorrow on the gear apachelog: The Linux Gaming Issue - Progress