Note that my blog has moved to the real apacheLog
-
maybe visit it? ;-)

Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Linux Gaming Issue - The Hope




The title could also be Patriot 2 since this episode depends on the previous (or the previous on this?! - something might it be ;-))
Anyway, topic is whether there are games which are promising, in future.

So is there any hope of Linux Gaming in areas not including shooters or lame jun games?
I hope so. The port might be an interessting one, and not just because they made an open call for beta testers. X² is a very good game in general, gets monotone after quite some time, but grea fun I think (at least X was). There's also Northland, I haven't tried it yet but the Screenshots aren't that bad IMO.
And I really think it's unlikely that Linux gaming gets even worse, might sound evil but compared with Windows, or even with .mac ..... it's really a shame.

Actually I'd like to see more game developers like Id, porting their games to Linux. First step would be to make games more portable in general, but well, I think we might tell them to do so. The community isn't bugging them enough afaics.
But it's not only game developer's fault, also ATI with it's crappy 3D driver (though I have to admit that Nvidida's is also far away from perfect). And their excuse that there is no API for closed source drivers in the Linux Kernel is a very LAME one, since Linux is OSS and therefore anyone (also ATI/Nvidia) can contriubte to it - I think that Linus won't discard a patch/enhancementt fixing this, without having a very long discussion about it.

So let's think about how to get more game publishers to support Linux till saturday (post a comment), while I'll post the very short review of recent's wine gaming capabilities.

Tomorrow on the geared apachelog: The Linux Gaming Issue - Bordeaux